Given that most people only call for HVAC service when something goes wrong, you may be wondering, “Do I really need furnace maintenance service?”
Yes—you really do need furnace maintenance if you want to save money, stay comfortable, and enjoy some other benefits.
To explain why this is the case, here are some helpful answers to common questions about furnace maintenance service.
What Happens During Furnace Maintenance Service?
Furnace tune-ups involving checking all of the system’s essential components and adjusting, cleaning, testing, and/or lubricating them, as needed. Some of the specific tasks involved in furnace maintenance services include:
- Inspecting the vent system and air intake grilles, removing any blockages
- Checking the heat exchanger for signs of damage or corrosion
- Examining and cleaning the blower, removing any debris
- Checking the blower motor and testing its amp draw
- Inspecting the electrical connections, tightening them and/or replacing damaged wiring as needed
- Checking the burner and flame sensor
- Examining the belts for any signs of damage or cracks
- Inspecting the thermostat and calibrating it as needed
- Lubricating all moving parts in the heating system
- Checking the air filter, cleaning it or replacing it as needed
- Checking and testing the system’s safety controls and startup cycle
If you have an oil or gas furnace, additional steps included in furnace maintenance service include:
- Examining fuel lines for potential leaks
- Checking and testing gas pressure, the burner, and the pilot
- Inspecting the thermocouple
- And more!
How Often Should I Get a Furnace Tune-Up?
At Genz-Ryan Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, we recommend getting furnace tune-ups:
- At least once a year: Annual furnace maintenance can keep your system running efficiently. If you’re serious about maintaining optimal indoor air quality—or if anyone in your home has respiratory issues or a compromised immune system―it’s generally best to get furnace tune-ups more frequently, like two to four times per year.
- Before the cold season: The ideal time for furnace maintenance service is before you’ll be running your system on a daily basis when the temperatures drop. In the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, the best time for a furnace tune-up is usually during the end of summer and the beginning of fall. By getting a furnace tune-up before winter sets in, you can make sure your system is ready to support your comfort needs during the entire cold season to come!
What Are the Benefits of Furnace Maintenance?
Regular furnace tune-ups offer several advantages, including:
- Saving money: Furnace maintenance keeps your heating system running as efficiently as possible. That can mean monthly savings in energy bills. Over time, this savings can cover the cost of regular furnace tune-ups!
- Maintaining the warranty: Many furnace warranties include terms that require regular maintenance. If yours does, getting routine tune-ups is key to keeping your warranty valid and ensuring you have the coverage you need if anything does go wrong during the warranty period.
- Minimizing the risk of unexpected breakdowns: With regular furnace maintenance, minor issues can be identified and addressed before they become more serious problems. That means fewer system failures, a reduced need for heating repair service, and minimal chances that you’ll be left without heat during the cold season.
- Maximizing the service life of a furnace: A well-maintained furnace can last for well over a decade, letting you get the most out of your investment.
How Much Does Furnace Maintenance Service Cost?
Furnace maintenance is one of the most affordable heating services you can get from a professional HVAC company. While the exact cost can depend on the type of furnace you have, in general, you can get the best deal on furnace maintenance when you sign up for a maintenance plan.
At Genz-Ryan, we offer:
- Money-saving maintenance plans: Our maintenance agreements make it as affordable and convenient as possible for homeowners in the Twin Cities to get the regular tune-ups and service they need.
- Special offers and deals: We regularly run special promotions to give our customers an opportunity to save whenever possible!
Whether you’re ready to find out more about our heating maintenance plans—or it’s time to schedule a furnace tune-up in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, simply contact Genz-Ryan!
How Do I Schedule Furnace Maintenance Service?
One call or click is all it takes to schedule furnace maintenance in the Twin Cities.
Just call Genz-Ryan at (612) 223-6158 or contact us online now to request a furnace tune-up in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area!
We’ll schedule service at your convenience. Plus, we’ll arrive on time, fully prepared to complete the service as efficiently as possible. We look forward to hearing from you!