How Long Do Garbage Disposals Last?
Having a garbage disposal in your kitchen sink is a great way to keep your plumbing clear of unwanted clogs, debris, and odors. While this handy tool is great when it’s in working order, garbage disposals can act up or break down over time.
Whether your garbage disposal is working or experiencing problems, here’s some helpful information about:
- How to properly maintain garbage disposals
- Common signs it’s time for garbage disposal repair or replacement service
Proper Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Depending on how they’re used and maintained, garbage disposals will typically last between 8 and 15 years. Some disposals come with a 1-year warranty, and others have a 12-year warranty.
In general, there are three ways homeowners can extend the service life of their units:
- Daily maintenance: Simply using a garbage disposal regularly can reduce debris buildup in the device, especially when soapy water is rinsed through it while it operates.
- Weekly maintenance: Once a week, fill your kitchen sink with clean, cold water. Once the sink is full, pull the drain plug and allow the water to rush through the garbage disposal. The rushing water can clear any lingering, unwanted materials from the unit.
- Monthly maintenance: Monthly garbage disposal maintenance involves this three-step process:
- Dump a tray of ice cubes into the sink, allowing the garbage disposal to crush them up into a slushy mixture. Then, rinse with cold water, allowing the ice to fill the drain line so it can slowly melt away.
- Remove your removal drain baffle (if you have one). Clean it thoroughly before placing it back in its original location.
- Pour ½ cup of baking soda and one cup of vinegar into the grind chamber. Allow the mixture to foam while you proceed to boil a pot of water. Once the water is boiling, pour it down the drain.
With this routine maintenance, you can enjoy many years of flawless performance.
Remember, however, that even well-maintained units can experience troubles from time to time. So, make sure you know the signs of garbage disposal problems so that you can call for professional repair service.
Signs It’s Time for Garbage Disposal Repair or Replacement Service
When a garbage disposal has problems and needs repairs, it will let you know! Here are some of the signs that your unit needs service from a professional plumber:
- Strange sounds
- Frequent resets
- Excessive clogging
- Loss of power
- Foul odors
- Poor performance
- Leaking water
Sometimes, a simple reset can fix the unit. But, if your garbage disposal’s issues persist beyond the reset, it’s likely time for repair or replacement service. Repairing and replacing a garbage disposal should always be done by a plumbing professional to:
- Avoid injury
- Prevent further damage to the device
- Ensure the proper repairs are completed—or that a new garbage disposal is expertly installed—so the device operates correctly
Schedule Garbage Disposal Services with Trusted Plumbers in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area
If you’ve had your garbage disposal for more than 8 years or you’re experiencing any problems with your unit, contact Genz-Ryan Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning.
Our plumbing professionals are experienced in repairing and replacing garbage disposals so homeowners can enjoy clean and clear plumbing in their kitchens for years to come.
Simply call (612) 223-6158 or contact us online to schedule service. And don’t forget to check out our specials to save even more on your next service!