Posted On: February 20, 2015
In the market for a new toilet? Not the most exciting thing to buy for your family but definitely a necessity. Click on the link below, from our Genz-Ryan blog post archives, to get advice on toilet shopping and continue reading for some interesting facts about the white porcelain throne, that we call the toilet.
Interesting Facts from the Internet:
- Some of the earliest toilets date back to C 2,300 BC when at Skara Brae in Scotland the stone huts had drains with cubicles over them. (They may have been toilets)
- It is said that Sir John Harrington invented the flushing toilet in 1596 but the idea never really caught on until 1775 when Alexander Cumming patented the flushing toilet.
- The World Toilet Organization was formed in 2001.
- Nov. 19th is World Toilet Day- an event hosted by the World Toilet Organization to raise awareness for the 2.5 billion people around the world who live without proper sanitation.
- In 1994 Congress passed the Energy Policy Act, requiring common flush toilets to use only 1.6 gallons of water, less than half of what they consumed before.
- More people in the world have mobile phones than toilets.
- Taiwan has a restaurant that serves its food in miniature toilets.
- Americans spend about 5 cents per day by flushing their toilets.
- The average person spends three whole years of their life sitting on the toilet and the more apps you have on your phone, the longer you will sit!
- The toilet is flushed more times during the super bowl halftime than at any other time during the year.
- The White House has 35 bathrooms! Chances are they also have 35 toilets!
You may not need 35 toilets in your house but having one that fits your body and bathroom will make all the difference and knowing the facts above will make you look at your new toilet in a whole different way!