cartoon of 3 genz ryan technicians all smiling with blue and red polo shirts on

The Serious (CO)

Posted On: January 15, 2015

Here at Genz-Ryan, safety is one of our top priorities. That’s why we are going to talk about a serious topic this week. Carbon Monoxide. We all know what that is and what will happen if not prevented. The “D” word. So please read this and pass it along to all of your friends and family. This information is from the experts at the Minnesota Department of Health.

What is Carbon Monoxide? It is a toxic gas that is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. Now you can see why it is called the “silent killer”. Carbon Monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter due to insufficient oxygen supply to enable complete oxidation to carbon dioxide (CO2). It is dangerous because it interferes with normal oxygen uptake for humans and other living organisms needing oxygen to live.

How can you get Carbon Monoxide? Leaving your car running in an unventilated area, when fuel burning devices are not properly vented or maintained, and even smoking. This is why it is important to get your furnace tuned up on a yearly basis so that if there is something wrong, it can get fixed right away. It is better to be proactive in these types of situations.

What are some examples of fuel burning devices to be aware of? Great question because some of these you might not have thought of.

  • Furnaces
  • Gas or kerosene space heaters
  • Boilers
  • Gas cooking stoves
  • Water heaters
  • Clothes dryers
  • Fireplaces
  • Charcoal grills
  • Wood stoves
  • Lawn mowers
  • Power generators
  • Camp stoves
  • Motor vehicles
  • Some power tools with internal combustion engines
  • Smoking

So how can you protect you and your family? Simple, just make sure that all of your fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained. Know the symptoms of CO poisoning so you can get help right away and fix the problem (check out the link below for symptoms). Install Carbon Monoxide detectors throughout the house. They should be within 10 feet of every bedroom or in the bedroom, the batteries should be changed frequently, and replace the detector every year. Simple solutions for a very serious problem. Please stay safe this winter and give us a call to do a safety check on your HVAC system.

Proudly Serving The Twin Cities!