June is Home Safety Month
Posted On: June 02, 2016
June is Home Safety Month, a time to reflect on what you can be doing to keep your home and family safer throughout the year. Help reduce the safety risks in your home by following these easy Home Safety Month tips.
- Keep your basement dry with a sump pump. Sump pumps are your home’s best defense against flooding.
- Know where your main water shutoff valve is in case a plumbing emergency occurs. Not sure where that is? This blog may help you find it.
- Install child locks on cabinets.
- Neglecting your dirty air filter can cause dirty air to be blown right back into your home. Be sure to replace it every 1-3 months depending on usage.
- Make sure your family has an evacuation plan if an emergency occurs.
- Ventilate your kitchen. Cooking in the kitchen can produce a variety of harmful by-products like heat, smoke, grease, and odors. If you are not ventilating, these particles will eventually settle on your cabinets, backsplash, and countertops. Not to mention the odors that can soak into fabric, carpets, and clothing. Having the right range hood will keep air clean in your kitchen.
- Make sure your home has working smoke alarms.
- Don’t risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect your family by making sure your fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained. Installing carbon monoxide detectors in a home is an additional way to help ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Protect children by covering outlets with safety plugs.
- Indoor air can be more polluted than the air outdoors, due to modern energy efficient home building techniques that can seal a home’s envelope pretty tight. Look into buying an air cleaner or purifier for your home; they are the best defense against poor indoor air quality. Learn more about how they can help your home here.
- Never block or pile things onto a heater.
- Keep your bathroom as dry as possible. Wet areas can cause falls and possible moisture issues.
For more on any of these tips check out our additional blogs.