How to Troubleshoot Common Air Conditioning Problems
When you’re seeking relief from the summer heat, air conditioner problems can be a nightmare! If you know how to troubleshoot them, you can stay cool—or know when it’s time to call the pros for AC repair service.
To help you with AC troubleshooting, here are some common air conditioner problems and what you can do to try to resolve them.
And if you need expert help troubleshooting and repairing AC problems, don’t hesitate to contact the HVAC experts at Genz-Ryan Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning. We can get your air conditioning running like new in no time!
What If My AC Blows Hot Air?
– Check the thermostat to make sure it’s not set to “heat.” Then, check to see if the thermostat’s batteries need to be replaced.
– If the thermostat seems to be working, check the circuit breaker for tripped breakers or blown fuses.
What If My AC Short Cycles or Doesn’t Stop Running?
– Check the air filter. If it’s dirty, replace it or clean it.
– If the air filter is clean, check the evaporator coil (which is inside the air handler). If it’s frozen, turn off your AC and let the coil thaw.
What If My AC Is Making Strange Noises?
– Check the indoor unit. If you see any leaks, call for professional repair service.
– If the indoor unit looks OK, check the outdoor unit. Remove any debris within two feet of the unit. If the noise persists, call for professional repair service.
What If My AC Just Won’t Turn On?
– Check the circuit breaker for any tripped breakers.
– Then, check the thermostat to see if it’s on and if the settings are correct.
These are just some ways to troubleshoot common AC problems. If these tips don’t restore your AC or if you’d like some professional help troubleshooting and fixing your cooling system, just contact Genz-Ryan!
How Air Conditioning Units Work
Understanding how AC systems work can be helpful whenever it’s time to troubleshoot air conditioning problems. Essentially, air conditioners work like refrigerators. They remove heat from the air to cool it down.
AC units have three main parts: the compressor, the condenser, and the evaporator. Here’s how these components work together to cool your home’s air:
- In a cold, gaseous state, refrigerant fluid travels through the unit’s coils to the compressor.
- The compressor squeezes the refrigerant, increasing its temperature and preparing it for the condenser.
- The gaseous refrigerant reaches the condenser, where its temperature is lowered once again so that it forms a liquid.
- This liquid is sent to the evaporator, where it is once again transformed into a gas. This gas removes heat from the air, and the cool air is circulated throughout a given space via a motorized fan.
Your air conditioner won’t work correctly when any of these elements malfunctions—or when other issues arise.
AC Troubleshooting, Repair & Maintenance Service in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metro Area
The experienced AC contractors at Genz-Ryan can help with all of your cooling system needs. Whether you need help troubleshooting and repairing problems or it’s time for routine maintenance or a brand-new system, we’re ready to help!
Call (612) 223-6158 or schedule AC service online now. And don’t forget to check out our specials to save even more on your next system or service!