furnace troubleshooting tips
Posted On: November 14, 2019
Furnaces are durable, but over time, they can experience any number of problems. When they do, use these helpful furnace troubleshooting tips to see if you can fix your furnace. We’ve broken these troubleshooting tips down by different types of furnace problems.
If you don’t have time to try out these tips—or if this troubleshooting doesn’t restore your furnace—don’t hesitate to contact a furnace repair expert at Genz-Ryan Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning.
MY FURNACE DOESN’T HEAT MY HOME
If your home feels chilly or has cold spots:
- Check your thermostat to see if it’s set to the “heat” setting. Then, move the dial a few degrees up to see if that kicks your furnace on.
- Check if a circuit breaker or fuse was tripped by manually testing the breaker controlling the furnace. Make sure the breaker switch is flipped on when you’re finished manually testing the switch.
MY FURNACE ISN’T OPERATING OR TURNING ON
If your furnace has suddenly stopped working, check the safety switch on the furnace door. This feature prevents the fan and burner from switching on while the access panel is removed.
When the switch is faulty, it will mistakenly detect an open access panel, preventing the furnace from operating as it should. If this happens, replacing the faulty switch can be the solution for restoring the furnace system.
MY FURNACE SMELLS BAD
If your furnace is giving off musty or foul odors:
- Check the air filter to see if it looks dirty or clogged.
- Clean or replace the air filter if it looks dirty and it’s been more than three months since the last time you cleaned or replaced it.
While this furnace troubleshooting tip can stop the bad smells coming from your furnace, it can also help your system:
- Operate more efficient
- Promote better indoor air quality
- Last longer, as your furnace won’t have to work as hard to push warm air through the filter as it warms your home
MY PILOT LIGHT IS YELLOW
Your furnace’s burners should always appear even and blue. This indicates the burners are clean and the furnace is operating correctly. If your burners appear yellow:
- They may be dirty and require professional cleaning.
- Your system may be producing poisonous carbon monoxide gas that can endanger you and your family.
The best thing to do if you notice a yellow pilot light is to contact Genz-Ryan for professional diagnostic and repair service. We can help you avoid potential safety hazards caused by yellow pilot lights by either repairing your furnace or replacing it, if needed.
SCHEDULE FURNACE REPAIR SERVICE IN MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL
Whether or not you give these furnace troubleshooting tips a try, Genz-Ryan is here for you, ready to help with any of your furnace service needs! Since 1950, we’ve been a leading furnace service company throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, providing first-class HVAC service and comfort solutions.
Call (612) 223-6158 or contact us online to schedule furnace repair or any HVAC service at your Twin Cities home!
And don’t forget to check out our money-saving offers, excellent warranties, and flexible financing options to see why we’re a leading HVAC company in the Twin Cities!