No matter when it is, allergies are a very real issue in Minnesota. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has placed the Minneapolis-St. Paul area on their list of challenging places to live with an allergy in both Spring and Fall. In addition, they’ve estimated that 50 million Americans suffer from nasal allergies. That means as many as 30 percent of adults and 40 percent of children are impacted.
If you suffer from allergies, there are several things you can do inside your home to minimize your suffering:
- Keep pets outside as much as you can; bathe them often to minimize dander
- Control the humidity level in your home. The higher it is, the more likely that mold could grow. Use dehumidifiers where needed
- Make sure that you remove laundry from the washer promptly. Also air out damp clothing before putting away or placing with other dirty laundry
- Limit the number of indoor plants you have—the soil encourages mold growth
- Vacuum at least once a week (bonus: it burns calories, too!)
- Wash your sheets and blankets at least once a week in hot water
- Insist that no one smokes in your home
- Thinking of new flooring? Consider hardwood or some other solid surface. If you must have carpet, choose a low-pile option
- Filter the air in your home to reduce the chance of suffering from allergies indoors
The Filter Solution
You can get smaller air cleaners for individual rooms, but that will only solve part of the issue. If you spend any time in a room that you are not running an air cleaner, you’ll start to notice symptoms of allergies. The best solution to keep everyone comfortable is to get a whole-home system. Since you can get something that works through your heating and cooling systems, installation can be a whole lot easier.
At Genz-Ryan, we have a system that can remove over 95 percent of particles in the air. It employs the same level of filtration that you would find in a hospital or surgical center, so you know that the air in your home will be clean. As an added bonus, it can remove around half of household odors and chemical vapors in the span of a day.
If this sounds like something you need, contact us today—we can help target problem areas within your home that can help minimize your suffering. Allergies may be a reality in Minnesota, and with our help, you don’t have to dream about finding some relief.